May 19, 2011

Snorkeling in FL Keys


Part of the 7 miles bridge


Today we went to check the marina in Duck Hawks area, where we saw HUGE tarpons just swimming in the harbor by the docks. I just wanted to go out to watch fishermen pulling those guys in... well... ok... I wanted to try too, but then I'd have been just too sad doing so. And, maybe the fish would pull me in the water first, before I'd pull him out on the boat. They can be REALLY HUGE!!!

Since the snorkeling tour was more affordable then fishing in high sea, we (obviously!) went out with a motor powered catamaran to a reef just off Sombrero Beach and had a really great day with snorkeling out there.

Getting ready to leave

Chris with the lobster cages in the background

Getting closer to our snorkeling area by the lighthouse

Enjoying the sun and views

The first thing I saw was a freaking huge barracuda. Man! That thing was humongous!!! The reef was gorgeous too, with many different corrals and big corral fans too, and fishes of any color and sizes.

Having fun on the way back

And on the way back we saw dolphins too: the perfect way to finish a perfect day on the sea!


Afterwards we went to lie down on Sombrero beach. Chris went snorkeling again, while I started reading my new book. We both took a nap too, which gave us good energy to go grocery shopping. I wanted to make clams risotto, but they didn't have them, so... I bought mussels and scallops and made a yummy risotto with them instead.


It didn't last long at all.
I guess... either we were hungry, or it really was very good! :)

No comments: